What is an expansion joint?
An expansion joint is an assembly designed to absorb the tensions that are generated by the high temperature and additionally cool atmospheric conditions to the construction elements. The purpose is usually to keep the complete system unscathed also offer security. Always larger architectural structures like flyovers, stadiums, auditoriums, swimming pools, heavy complexes experience greatly increased influence of sunny season’s high temperatures and that contributes to enlarge the building elements expanding at day and at night cools down and that result in contraction to the materials. As time passes, that makes it even more at risk of cracks. An identical phenomenon takes place in the cold weather and then repetitively it creates additional risk and risks the lifespan of the architectural structures. That is why an expansion joint is compulsory to this kind of structures.
Expansion joint filler board’s attributes:
The latest compressible filler board is based on polymers and is a “Cross Linked Closed Cell Polymer sheets”. In India it is also known as HD100 joint filler sheets. The 100 refers to the density of the filler sheets, which is 100Kg per CuMtr.
- It is non-staining.
- It has excellent compression recovery, at least 95% of original thickness.
- It has very good chemical resistance; mostly all weak to moderate acids.
- Decay proof and micro-organism resistant.
- Easy to use – It is very easy to work with and to install it.
- Being a polymer product it permits weather cycle with minimum load transfer to the structures.
- All weather proof – summer, winter as well as monsoon.
- Due to its closed cell structure it has extremely low water absorption thus non-deteriorating and long life.
Usages of expansion joint filler sheets
Recently it is widely available to replace the old traditional bitumen impregnated boards, other types of composite sheets, rubberised sheets. It is considered as the new generation HD100 joint filler sheets. It is environment friendly as it is produced without usage of CFC/HCFC into the production process, which is believed detrimental to the earth.
- Airport runways as well as taxi tracks.
- Water preserving and water excluding structures.
- Also they are applied to Isolation Joints to infill sections.
- Concrete flooring and concrete roads.
- In car parking lots and also in water proofing applications.
- Interconnecting passageways between buildings.
- Basements, flyovers, toll plaza flooring surfaces as well as subways.
- Type of products supplied: Sheets and rolls.
- The conventional supplied thickness range: 5mm to 200mm.
- The sheet sizes: 1200mm x 1800mm (4ft x 6ft), 1500mm x 1600mm (5ft x 5ft 4inch), 1000mm x 2000mm (3ft 4inch x 6ft 8inch) and many others.
Tailored orders are also executed for specific thickness and also sheet sizes. Usually HD100 filler boards are offered in typical black shade, even though at times served in different shade for unique demands.
Packaging (in form of bundle): Each pack of our micro-cellular filler sheets ordinarily loaded to have the stack thickness around 300mm.
Really feel free to comment for virtually any specialist doubts, assuming there are any.