Radon is a metallic element in gas form. This gas can be very harmful, particularly because it breaks down into tiny particles which can get lodged in the human lungs. The particles are radioactive and hence can easily lead to lung cancer. However, not all people who are exposed to the gas risk getting cancer but the risks remain high. Unfortunately, it can be hard to tell about the existence of the gas when buying your home. The amount of radon present varies from home to home and others don’t suffer at all.